Monday, April 14, 2008

Feeling Tarty?

Today I made the Foolproof Lemon Tart from Baking Bites. I used Meyer lemons instead of regular lemons. While making it, I realized that a) this was my first time making pastry that was not pie crust (way to jump straight to the big leagues, ACE. yeesh.), and b) I had no pie weights or cheap dried beans to blind bake. So I went ahead and blind baked the crust with my Rancho Gordo Yellow Indian Woman beans, which as you can see aren't even on the website right now. Sigh. Well, I refuse to concede the beans as a loss, so I'm soaking them anyway and will probably cook them before bed. I WILL devour these beans! Also, they're $5.50 per 1 pound bag, so I was loath to waste the cash too.

The crust got a little browner than I would have liked, and there was a little more, um... shrinkage than I would prefer as well. But all in all, it came out and I had a by and large tart-shaped crust ready to go. So I made the filling, which the Meyer lemons I had were just barely enough for, and baked the whole shebang for about fifteen minutes. Booya - tart and delicious! The filling is lemony and sweet, but not excessively so. A really voluptuous texture. Just awesome. It really is foolproof, and I will make this again, no question! I'm dreaming of all kinds of citrus tarts...

Neal and his brother of course started comparing it to lemon bars. Don't get me wrong, I love a good lemon bar, but this was so much more effort than a lemon bar! Sigh.

I will post a picture once I find my stupid camera cord. Assuming, of course, that Izzy didn't eat it.

One last note: if anyone can explain to me why the hell Scrabulous won't consider "zen" to be a word, I would desperately like to know.

No comments: