Thursday, April 10, 2008

Honduras Day 1/2 - The Journey

I got to the airport at about 11am. Of course, several of us congregated in the bar, because airports really do lend themselves to drinking. On the other hand, a mediocre beer for 8 bucks makes me feel a little stabby. Once you're on the plane, though, the Horizon Air flight serves free drinks. I had a glass of wine from some Californian winery that donates to service dog funds for every bottle sold. It wasn't half bad, either!

In Portland, there is a decent little Mexican joint where I had tortilla soup and a margarita. Most of us had a bite to eat there before getting on the plane to LA. Oh yes, the trip was only a tiny bit over. Nothing like 30 straight hours of travel! In LA, we didn't get as lost as last year (huzzah!), nor did we have to take the skeery little carts all over the tarmac. Hint to LAX drivers: little bus and big plane enter. One guess which man leaves. Ah, the familiar Chili's at LAX. A long wait for a table, and then the bill got all screwed up, since of course there were 13 of us!

Finally we landed in Miami, in the middle of a big rain and after a scare where me may have had to land in Orlando, which would just have REALLY sucked. I watched August Rush on the way from LAX to Miami. It's not half bad, but I probably should have slept instead. We got into Miami about 5am, then waited around for an hour or so. Four of us took a cab to Miami Beach, which definitely hit the spot. First stop was News Cafe for breakfast.



I had Eggs Florentine, which were good, though the cream cheese sauce was more interesting than delicious. I would have preferred Hollandaise, but I was starving, it was still pretty damn good, and I would have devoured pretty much anything. More to the point, we weren't in an AIRPORT. We saw Gianni Versace's house, though I was the only one to know it on sight. We wandered along the beach once the rain died down. It was gorgeous, just starting to get warm, and there were tons of birds out getting whatever food they could find on the beach before the people started pouring in. I don't know how much tourist traffic there is in Miami Beach in the spring, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a fair amount. It was getting warm, and I know a movie (Marley and Me, I think?) was filming there either that week or the week before. After rinsing the sand out of our shoes, it was high time to take a cab back to the airport and get in a nap before boarding our final plane into San Pedro Sula.

No comments: