Monday, October 29, 2007

Gratin With the Girls

The boys went up elk hunting, so to celebrate a week of freedom from boy food (read: eggs, meat, whatever "hot dish" is), two of the girls and I went shopping yesterday, then made dinner and enjoyed it with three bottles of wine and their first viewing of 300. Well, 300 is admittedly not your typical "girly" movie, but if you can explain to me how several dozen attractive, goateed, mindblowingly ripped and noble men in very little clothing would NOT appeal to straight and bisexual women, I will take it under advisement. And then I will ignore you, because Gerard Butler is hot tasty goodness.

N picked up stuff to make pad thai, and it turned out awesome, even the tofu part, which is cool because I'm not usually all about tofu. But that is not what I made, so I have no idea what went into it because I was absorbed in my third glass of wine and my new game, "Restaurant Empire" while she was making it.

I made potato gratin. This one is loosely based on a potato gratin recipe in Nigella Lawson's book Feast. It is so simple and so creamy and decadent; it is seriously the epitome of a fall recipe. I made it for Supper Club in September and upon making it this second time, I've firmly decided it is a keeper!

Also, the quantities are very much by feel - it's a pretty forgiving recipe, which is great for parties where you're tired and lazy but still want to impress.

White wines are probably best with this - we drank a chardonnay and my latest wine obsession - Menage a Trois white blend from Folie a Deux. It's a fairly heavy dish and a nice bright fruity white cuts through it and keeps it from being way, way too much.

Potato Gratin

Approx. 4 lbs potatoes - I like to use about 2/3 baking potatoes and 1/3 sweet potatoes.
Approx. 4 cups liquid - Nigella specifies heavy cream, which is fine. The first time I made it, I didn't have enough heavy cream, so I used buttermilk too. This second time, I used about 2.5 cups of Straus half & half (a whole jug), and about the same amount of Straus whole milk. Both times, it's rocked.
One onion, cut in half lengthwise.
Spices of your choice - a little salt and pepper, maybe a cinnamon stick, nutmeg, bay leaves, sage - all tasty.
Cheese - Nigella does not include cheese, which is all well and good but to my mind an oversight, as cheese can only improve a dish. Anything that grates and melts well is fine - I used two cheeses the first time, but I can't remember which two, and the second time I used Beecher's Flagship. As much or as little as you like - it's just going on top.
That's all. Nice, huh?

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Peel and slice the potatoes as thin as you like. I go with some a little less than 1/4 inch and some a little more - the thinner ones will break up more, so you end up with a nice varied potato texture. Put into a pot. Put in the onion halves (this is why you cut it lengthwise, so it will stay together at the root end of each half). Put in spices. Pour in liquid. Bring to boil, then lower the heat to low and simmer until the potatoes have a fair amount of give, and the onion is starting to fall apart, having imparted its flavor to the liquid. Then put the potatoes and the sauce into a 9x13 baking dish, removing the onion and any other whole spices or herbs. Grate the cheese over the top and pop in the oven until it is lightly browned, or until you can't wait any more and must DEVOUR IT.

1 comment:

Dogfyre said...

"whatever hotdish is"!?!?!? You're dating a Norwiegen Lutheran and you don't know what hotdish is?

When you guys are in this neck of the woods you have to try "Nala Pak" all vegetarian indian food, their sweet lassi is to die for! and the palaak paneer is amazing.