Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Tots and Sprouts

Tuesday nights I have bowling league. Yes, bowling, sport of cheap beer and fried food. My friends/teammates and I are not shy about the pitchers of Kokanee and/or Bud Light, and I was hungry, so I also ordered my bowling alley standby. The 7-10 Split. What a depressing term for what is easily the most delightful thing on the menu (the nachos compete well, but are brought down by the nasty not-guac they're served with). A basket of curly fries and tater tots, paired with the sauce of your choice. My preferred pairing is honey mustard for the tots, ketchup for the fries. After a dalliance with ranch and another with tartar sauce, I've returned to being a purist when it comes to fries. I devoured it with glee. The best moment of the night, however, was when my friend ordered a hot dog and received what the server termed a "split weiner." A hot dog sliced lengthwise down the middle for no conceivable reason. Outstanding.

Then I got home, 12-pack of Session Lager in hand because I do my best to be a nice houseguest, to find that there was food. Meat things, which my vegetarian soul was not attracted to, but also brussels sprouts. They looked beautiful and smelled even better. Alas, my carnivorous boyfriend and his equally carnivorous brother and friend had maliciously tainted the sprouts with bacon. I was denied sprouty goodness!

Tonight: I think I must cook up my very own batch of sprouts. Roasted with some olive oil, salt and pepper, then doused in lemon juice, they ought to hit the spot.

1 comment:

Sara Habein said...

mmmm...fries and tots.